Sunday, December 27, 2009

Baby's Favorite Books

Dear Lincoln,

   You love being read to, but for some reason, there's a rough transition with new books.  You have your favorites and you stick to them.  I haven't discovered the magic number for the amount of introductions a new addition to your bookshelf requires before it's acceptable, but I know for certain that the first, second and third tries involve a lot of nervous whining and reaching for an old standby.  For that reason, I try to introduce new books as much as possible, to familiarize you with novelty.  Ah, oxymoron. 

   But, just to show that I am paying attention to your preferences, here are some of the books to which you are currently attached:
   No matter how many books you've piled up on the floor, you never fail to fish out this 'ol fellow.  To be honest, I'm not a fan of books whose stories are more in the pictures than the words.  I'm a word person.  However, this one is undeniably sweet, and I enjoy reading it to you.


   But of course.  What child doesn't love Freight Train?  I like to add in my own sound effects.  Babies are wild for sound effects, didn't you know.




   Okay, this one might be my favorite, but I think by now you've accepted it as one of yours, too.  You can't help but love it. 


   I will forever be puzzled as to how you figured this book out.  The very first time I read it to you, you reached out and lifted those flaps like a pro.



I love the catchy rhythm of this tale. It's one of those rare finds that never gets old.


   This was your very first favorite.  And I'm glad, because as silly as it may be, this book was therapeutic for me in the first few weeks/months of motherhood.  I highly recommend this book for any new mother who is at all urban.  For any mother with the tiniest tad of vanity, with any turn towards the materialistic.  For any mother that may bemoan her greasy, unwashed hair, sagging, post-labor belly and general not-her-usual-self-ness.  The spunky, chic pictures and cultural outings about the city with baby in tow are just the pick-me-ups a new, young mother needs.  (Thanks Tiffini!)

There are others.  Oh yes, there are many others.  But these are the books I can think of off hand.  One last thing I wanted to mention about the baby book scene.  I make a point to read the author's and illustrator's names after the title.  It's important for me that you realize these are works of art created by people, and that someday you have the ability to put forth your own creation, just as they did. 

The End.

0 comments:

Post a Comment